The throat (pharynx) parts
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma that occurs in the back of the throat behind the nose and at the top of the healthy cancer.
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma is rare in the United States. Other parts of the world especially in Southeast Asia, including nasopharyngeal carcinoma will occur more frequently.
Early nasopharyngeal carcinoma is difficult to detect. This is probably nazofarenk you studying is not easy, and because of the symptoms of nasopharyngeal carcinoma mimic symptoms of other more common conditions.
Usually the treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma radiation therapy, chemotherapy, or a combination of both contain. Depending on your own situation, you can work with your doctor to determine the final treatment method.
Nasopharynx (Upper Pharynx) cancer what are the symptoms?
In the first phase, nasopharyngeal cancer may not cause any symptoms. The remarkable nasopharyngeal carcinoma possible symptoms include the following:
- Swollen lymph node in the neck because of a bump
- Blood in saliva
- Bloody discharge from the nose
- Nasal congestion
- Hearing loss
- Frequent ear infections
When should I see the doctor?
The symptoms of early nasopharyngeal carcinoma, it doesn’t always mobilize you to see your doctor. However, permanent changes of your body such as unusual nasal congestion abnormal and not fair to your attention, see your doctor.
Nasopharynx (Upper Pharynx) what are the causes of cancer?
As a result of one or more genetic mutation cancer normal cells grow out of control, invaded the surrounding structures and eventually spread to other parts of the body (metastasize to do with begins. In nasopharyngeal carcinomas in the squamous cells that line the nasal surface, this process begins.
Gene mutations that lead to unknown what had caused the nasofarenks carcinoma, although cancer that increase the risk of Epstein-Barr virus factors such as are defined. However, some people with cancer don’t turn out when all the risk factors never to present a significant risk factor in the development of the cause is not clear
Nasopharynx (Upper Pharynx) what are the risk factors for cancer?
Researchers have identified some factors that increase your risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma following:
- Nasopharyngeal carcinoma is more common in men than in women.
- This type of cancer China, Southeast Asia and North Africa affects people more often. In the U.S., Asian immigrants from American-born Asians, when compared to nasopharyngeal carcinoma risk. Inuit living in Alaska higher nasopharyngeal carcinoma risk.
- Age. Nasopharyngeal cancer can occur at any age, but most commonly is diagnosed in adults between the ages of 30 and 50.
- Foods marinated in Salt. Steam when cooking foods such as fish and vegetables marinated in Salt increases the risk of chemicals emitted from enter the nasal cavity and nasopharyngeal carcinoma. At an early age can increase the risk of exposure to these chemicals.
- Epstein Barr Virus. This common virus is usually with cold-like signs and symptoms produces. Sometimes it may result in infectious mononucleosis. Epstein-Barr virus is associated with some rare cancers such as nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Family history. Having a family member with nasopharyngeal carcinoma increases your risk of developing the disease.
- Nasopharynx (Upper Pharynx) what are complications of cancer?Complications of nasopharyngeal carcinoma may include the following:
- Grow up and invade nearby structures cancer. Advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma; throat, enough to invade nearby structures such as bones and brain if it grows, it can cause complications.
- Cancer that has spread to other parts of the body. You often spread beyond nazofarenk nasopharyngeal carcinoma (metastases).
Most people with nasopharyngeal carcinoma regional metastases. This initial tumor migrate to nearby areas, such as cancer cells from the lymph nodes in the neck.
The cancer cells spread to other areas of the body (distant metastasis), most of the bones, lungs and liver.
Nasopharynx (Upper Pharynx) in which measures can be taken against cancer?
There is not a sure way to prevent nasopharyngeal carcinoma. However, if you are worried about the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma, disease-related habits you may want to refrain from. For example, if you eat foods to avoid these foods completely or reduce the amount of salt in marinated you can choose.
- Nasopharyngeal carcinoma screening tests
Routine screening for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in the United States the disease is rare in other areas is not performed.
However, in some regions of the world such as China, nasopharyngeal carcinoma is more common in areas where people who are considered at high risk of developing the disease doctors propose scan. Scan Epstein-Barr virus may include blood tests that detect.
Nasopharynx (Upper Pharynx) cancer is diagnosed how?
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma screening tests
Tests and procedures used to diagnose nasopharyngeal carcinoma include the following:
- Physical examination. The diagnosis of carcinoma usually begins with a general examination Nazofaringeal. Your doctor will ask questions about your symptoms. Lymph nodes to feel your bulge in your throat you can have printed.
- Made by using a camera to let you see inside nazofarenk examined. Nasopharyngeal carcinoma is suspected, your doctor may recommend a nasal Endoscopy.
In this test, abnormalities nazofarink to see you with a camera on the end and a thin, flexible tube is used. Camera, the back of your throat or in your nose healthy can be inserted through the opening.
Nasal Endoscopy under local anesthesia may be required.
- Test of a sample of suspicious cells to be taken. Cancer your doctor to be tested for a small tissue sample (biopsy) or other device may use Endoscopy to take.
Nasopharynx (Upper pharynx) how to determine the spread of cancer?
Once a cancer diagnosis is confirmed, your doctor may want other tests such as imaging tests to determine the stage of the cancer.
Imaging tests may include the following:
- Computed tomography (CT)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
Your doctor after determining your degree of cancer, the stage of the cancer is assigned a Roman Numeral that indicates. Stages of nasopharyngeal cancer range from I to IV.
Stage, several other factors are used to determine your treatment plan and porno. A lower number means that the cancer is small and is limited to the nasopharynx. A higher figure, you nazofarenk of cancer beyond the lymph nodes in the neck or has spread to other parts of the body.
- Nasopharynx (Upper Pharynx) cancer treatment what are the options?
With your doctor the stage of your cancer, your treatment goals, your overall health and the side effects that can be tolerated based on various factors, such as work with you to prepare a treatment plan.
Nazofaringeal carcinoma usually starts with a combination of radiation therapy and chemotherapy radiation therapy or treatment.
Radiation therapy to kill cancer cells X-rays or protons used to harness energy such as powerful.
Usually radiation therapy for carcinoma nazofaringeal external beam radiotherapy (EBRT) is called with a process that is applied. During this process, radiation beams on a table and you will be admitted a great machine moves around directing you to a certain point where you can target your cancer.
Nasopharyngeal radiation therapy for small tumors, the only treatment may be necessary. In other cases, radiation therapy may be combined with chemotherapy.
Temporary radiation therapy, a skin rash, hearing loss, and carries the risk of side effects, including dry mouth.
In recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma, sometimes another radiation therapy, brachytherapy (internal radiation) is used. With this treatment, radioactive seeds or wires placed into or near the tumour.
Especially when combined with chemotherapy in head and neck radiation therapy often cause serious wounds on the neck and the mouth. Sometimes these sores makes eating or drinking difficult. If this happens, your doctor may suggest placing a tube in your throat or your stomach. Food and water given through this tube until your mouth and your throat heals.
Chemotherapy, a treatment that uses chemicals to kill cancer cells and medicated. Chemotherapy drugs in pill form, through a vein, or both may be provided.Chemotherapy can be used in ways to treat nasopharyngeal carcinoma:
- Radiation therapy concurrently with chemotherapy. When the two treatments are combined, increases the effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. This combination treatment or an operation that is performed simultaneous.
However, the side effects of chemotherapy is being added to the side effects of radiation therapy, and simultaneous treatment it is more difficult for you to tolerate.
- After radiation therapy or chemotherapy. Your doctor may recommend chemotherapy after surgery or after simultaneous treatment.
Chemotherapy, including those who have separated from the original tumor and spread to other places in your body is used to attack remaining cancer cells.
Rather than additional chemotherapy in people with nasopharyngeal carcinoma there is some debate about whether I really increase my survive. The side effects many people can tolerate simultaneous treatment after response to chemotherapy, and is forced to stop the treatment.
- Chemotherapy before radiation therapy. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy chemotherapy given before radiotherapy alone or concurrent treatment prior to treatment. If you increase the survival rates of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma to determine if you can increase more research needs to be done.
How often do you get chemo meds, which will be determined by your doctor. Which are the possible side effects of medicines you are getting will depend on live.
Surgery is not used very often as a treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancerous lymph nodes in the neck can be used to retrieve the surgery.
In certain cases, surgery can be used to remove the tumor a healthy. This is usually to remove cancerous tissue, the surgeon to make an incision in the roof of your mouth to reach the region requires.