Spinal tumors, spinal canal in the bones of the spine that develops you or your growth.
Known as an intradural tumor, spinal cord tumors, spinal cord, or spinal cord membrane (dura) of the spinal tumor starting. The bones of the spine (vertebrae) vertebral tumors that affect is called a tumor.
Spine and spinal cord tumors what are the symptoms?
Spinal cord tumors, especially tumors grow can cause different signs and symptoms. Your spine tumors or nerve roots, blood vessels or bones of your spine can affect. Signs and symptoms may include the following:
- Depending on tumor growth, the tumor in the region of pain
- Back pain often spreading to other parts of your body
- Pain, heat and cold less irritating
- Loss of bowel or bladder function
- Difficulty walking, which caused him to fall sometimes
- Back pain at night very unflattering
- Numbness or weakness in your arms or legs, especially Nov
- Moderate or severe weakness in different parts of your body Nov
Back pain is a common early symptom of spinal cord tumors. Beyond the pain of your back, hip, leg, foot, or even with treatment and may spread to your arm, even can get worse over time.
Of the tumor spinal tumors, depending on the type progresses at different speeds.
When should I see the doctor?
There are many causes of back pain, and a tumor is not the cause of most back pain. However, because early diagnosis and treatment are important for spinal cord tumors, back pain check with your doctor when you have the following types:
- Persistent and progressive
- It’s not about the activity
- Buries at night
- You have a history of cancer and your back pain has just begun.
- Nausea, vomiting or you have other symptoms such as dizziness
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of the following:
- Advancing weakness or numbness in your arms or legs Nov
- Changes in bowel or bladder function
What are the causes of spine and spinal cord tumors?
Spinal cord tumors are formed, it is not clear why. Experts, considers that the role of the defective gene. Typically, such genetic defects is hereditary, it is unknown whether or whether not only improves over time. It is believed that exposure to certain chemicals, such as may be caused by environmental things. However, in some cases, spinal cord tumors, neurofibromatosis type 2 and von hippel-Lindau disease is associated with known genetic syndromes, such as.
Spine and spinal cord tumors what are the risk factors?
Spinal cord tumors are more common in people who have the following characteristics:
- Neurofibromatosis type 2. This hereditary disorder, benign tumors develop on or near the border with the hearing. This can cause progressive hearing loss in one or both ears. In some people with neurofibromatosis type 2, tumors of the spinal canal develop.
- Von hippel-Lindau disease. This is a rare, multi-system disorders of the brain, retina and spinal cord of the blood vessels in tumors (hemangioblasto) and other tumor types is associated with the kidney or the adrenal gland.
What are the complications of spine and spinal cord tumors?
Spinal tumors can compress spinal nerves, and this is the region where the tumor is located under causes loss of movement or sensation. This sometimes may cause changes in bowel and bladder function. Nerve damage may be permanent.
However, early recognition and aggressive cancer is treated as if you may be able to regain more function and prevent loss of nerve function. Depending on location, a tumor that is pressing on the spinal cord it can be life threatening.
How to diagnose spine and spinal cord tumors?
Spinal tumors are not common, and sometimes can be overlooked because it resembles some other diseases. Therefore, your doctor about your medical history and both general physical and neurological examination entire to be informed, it is especially important for you to do.
If a spinal tumor is suspected, your doctor run the following tests to confirm the diagnosis and can help determine the location of the tumor:
- Spinal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). MRI, spine, spinal cord, and nerves powerful magnetic field and uses radio waves to obtain accurate images. MRI is usually the preferred test to diagnose tumors in the spinal cord and surrounding tissues. During the test a contrast agent which helps to emphasize certain tissues and structures, can be injected into a vein in your arm or in your hand front.
Some people may feel claustrophobic in the MRI scanner, or may find the noise of the machine disturbing. But usually given earplugs to help with noise, and some scanners include TV or headphones. So if you are concerned, ask for a mild sedative to help calm you down. In certain cases, general anesthesia may be required.
- Computed tomography (CT). This test uses a narrow beam of radiation to produce detailed images of your spine. The abnormal changes in the spinal canal or the spinal cord it sometimes better done with an injection of a contrast dye. CT scan of the spine is only rarely used to help diagnose tumors.
- The only way to determine the exact type of a spinal tumor, a small tissue sample (biopsy) to examine under a microscope. Biopsy results will help determine treatment options.
Spine and spinal cord tumors are classified how ?
Spinal cord tumors, the protective membrane of the spinal cord, according to one of three different types depending on where it occurs can be classified as.
An intradural tumor in three main types:
- Intramedullary tumors, gliomas, such as procedure or ependimom begins in cells in the spinal cord.
- Ekstramedul tumors in the spinal cord or the membrane that surrounds the spinal cord or the nerve roots that extends to the outside from grows on. How to begin in the spinal cord, although spinal cord compression such tumors and cause other problems as may affect the function of the spinal cord. Ekstramedul between samples of tumors that can affect the spinal cord meningiomas, neurofibromas, nerve sheath tumors include schwannoma, and.
The vertebrae around the spinal cord tumors in other parts of the body into a network of support or, in rare cases the spinal cord itself may spread (metastasize).
Spinal tumors or any growth pain, neurological problems and sometimes paralysis can cause. Spinal tumors can be life threatening and may cause permanent injury.
The treatment of spinal tumors surgical intervention, radiation therapy, chemotherapy or other drugs it may contain.
What are the types of spine and spinal cord tumors ?
What is the treatment for spine and spinal cord tumors?
Ideally, the goal of treatment is to completely eliminate the tumor, spinal cord tumor, but because of the risk of permanent damage to the spinal cord and surrounding nerves, this purpose can get complicated. Your age and general health doctors also. The construction of the spinal canal or tumor of the spine originate from, whether or not any part of your body or has spread from your spine and should not be considered when determining a treatment plan.
Tumors of the spine and neck surgery
Most treatment options for spinal tumors include the following:
- Monitoring. Some spine tumors before they cause symptoms, or even often can be discovered when another condition is being assessed for you. If small tumors are growing, or if it is pressuring the surrounding tissues, may be the only thing you need to watch them carefully.
During observation, your doctor will probably recommend periodic CT or MRI scans to monitor the tumor at appropriate intervals.
- Surgical intervention. A manageable risk that can be removed for tumors spinal cord or nerve injury, this is usually the preferred treatment.
Newer techniques and tools, provides the opportunity for surgeons to reach tumors that are inaccessible to the brain and nervous once. Microsurgery that is used in high-powered microscopes facilitates the separation of the tumor from the healthy tissue.
Doctors also can monitor the functions of the spinal cord and other important nerves during surgery, and thus can minimize the risk of harm to them. In some cases fragments of the tumor fragmentation during surgery and for the removal of very high frequency sound waves can be used.
However, even with the latest technological advances in surgery, each tumor can be completely removed. When the tumor is completely removed, surgical intervention, radiation therapy, or chemotherapy, or both can be followed by.
Depending on the operation, recovery after spine surgery may take weeks or longer. Temporary numbness, as well as experience other complications such as bleeding and nerve tissue damage.
Brain and nerve surgery pediatric consultation
- Include Radiation Therapy. Resolve this remaining tumor remnants after surgery, inoperable tumors or to treat tumors that are too risky surgery can be used to treat.
Drugs, radiation can help alleviate some of the side effects such as nausea and vomiting.
Your diet to minimize the amount of healthy tissue damaged and sometimes radiation therapy can be adjusted to make the treatment more effective. Changes only the modification of radiation dosage, 3-dimensional conformal radiation therapy such as the use of more complicated techniques may vary.
- Chemotherapy. Is a standard treatment for many types of cancer chemotherapy, which drugs to destroy cancer cells or stop their growth. Your doctor can determine whether chemotherapy alone or combined with radiation therapy can be useful for you.
Common side effects are fatigue, nausea, vomiting, an increase in the risk of infection and hair loss.
- Other Drugs. Surgery and radiation therapy, as well as tumors because it also can cause inflammation in the spinal cord, doctors sometimes, during surgery, or radiation treatments to help reduce swelling, patients corticosteroid writes.
Lessens inflammation corticosteroids, Nov weakness, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, diabetes and to avoid serious side effects such as increased sensitivity to infection are usually only used for a short time.