What is a brain tumor?
Each type of cancer is not a brain tumor. Brain tumors can be benign (not cancer) or malignant (cancerous) has two groups:
1. Benign brain tumors do not contain cancer cells:
- Usually removed by surgery and very rarely repeat.
- The borders and edges of benign brain tumors are clearly visible.
- Do not spread to other parts of the body and invade the healthy tissue around them. However, this doesn’t mean it is benign tumors are completely harmless. Sometimes benign tumors of the brain, to apply pressure to sensitive parts and cause serious health problems.
- Unlike benign tumors in most other parts of the body, benign brain tumors are sometimes life threatening.
- In very rare cases, a benign brain tumor may become malignant over time.
2. Malignant brain tumors contain cancer cells:
- Malignant brain tumors are generally more dangerous and life-threatening form.
- Malignant tumors tend to grow rapidly and spread into healthy tissue that surrounds it.
- In rare cases, a malignant brain tumor left cancer cells from other parts of the brain, spinal cord, or even to other parts of the body may spread (metastasize).
In some cases, malignant tumors does not spread or invade healthy tissues. Tumor a tissue layer in the construction of the bones of the skull or head can be stuck to sinirlanar structure; this type of tumors “tumor enkapsul” is called.
What are the symptoms of brain cancer?
The symptoms of brain tumorsize of the tumor, type and depends on location. Symptoms of the tumor on nerve endings and pressure builds up within the skull or brain damage occurs when the growth of the tumor. Among the most common symptoms of brain tumors are:
- Headache worsening in the morning,
- Nausea and/or vomiting,
- Speech, vision or hearing changes
- Problems with balance when standing or walking,
- Mood, personality, or extreme changes in the ability to concentrate,
- Memory problems,
- Muscle twitching, convulsions or seizures
- There is a feeling of numbness or tingling in the arms and legs.
However, these symptoms may occur depending on the other health problem that is not often because of a brain tumor. Persons with these symptoms to see a doctor without delay for early diagnosis and treatment are of great importance.
Brain tumors, are classified how?
Brain tumors from low to high, are classified according to their degree (of the first degree up to fourth degree). A tumor refers to the way the cancer cells look under a microscope. High-grade cancer cells look more abnormal and generally grow faster than low ones.
Primary Brain Tumors
In the brain tissue are called primary brain tumors tumors that begin to occur. Primary brain tumors are classified according to the cells or the brain region widely.
Secondary Brain Tumors
Malignant tumor cells in any tissue or organ of the body reach the brain through the blood and can lead to the formation of a new tumor there. These cells are called metastatic or secondary brain tumor is a brain tumor.
Brain Tumors: Who’s At Risk?
The following factors are associated with an increased risk of developing a primary brain tumor:
- Being male: brain tumors usually affects more men than women. But a type called meningioma tumors of the central nervous system, more common in women.
- Race: brain tumors, are more common among people who belong to the white race, people of other races.
- Age: the risk of brain tumors increases with age, mostly seen in people over the age of 70. On the other hand, brain tumors are the second most common cancer in children. Brain tumors in children under 8 years of age, above 8 years of age according to what is the definition?
- Family: in the family, called a glioma, central nervous system tumours in people with high risk to develop this disease.
- Certain chemicals in the workplace and/or exposure to radiation: industrial radiation, formaldehyde, vinyl chloride, akrilonitril being exposed is also a risk factor.
Diagnostic methods for brain tumors affect?
The methods of diagnosis of tumor cells are:
- Physical examination
- Neurological examination
- Computed tomography (CT)
- MRI (Mr)
- EMPTY (cerebrospinal fluid) review
Surgeons can benefit from the three methods to look for tumor cells:
- Needle biopsy
- Stereotactic biopsy
- At the same time as the biopsy treatment
Of the tumor type, grade and depending on the stage patients are surgery, radiotherapy or chemotherapy are treated with. Some patients have a combination of these treatments can be applied.
In addition, at any stage of the disease, to control pain and the symptoms of cancer, side effects of treatment and to ease emotional problems caused by participate in special treatment programs. This treatment, symptom management, supportive care and palliative care is called.
Surgical treatment: surgical treatment is the usual treatment for brain cancer. Neurosurgeons, a process called craniotomy, open the skull with.
Radiation therapy: radiation therapy uses high-energy rays to kill cancer cells and the prevention of the use of the process of elimination. This type of therapy is used in x-rays, gamma rays or protons. Radiation given to the tumor and surrounding tissues. In some cases, radiation may be given to the entire brain or to the spinal cord.
Radiosurgery; Radiosurgery for benign and malignant tumours non-invasive a medical procedure which allows it to be treated in such a way. When used in the treatment of lesions in the brain radiosurgery stereotactic radiotherapy (SRT) has been named as. Unfit for open surgery, radiosurgery cranial (head) and extracranial (head off) and tumor lesions with high-dose ionizing radiation focused in a way intensified by isinlanar neutralized.Nearby artery, nerve or other vital structures due to conventional surgical treatment or radiosurgery is not recommended in cases where it is difficult for the patient is used.Surgical surgery is usually performed in a single session, the effects of radio as smart as can be to have the operation done to that area. Three-dimensional computer-aided planning and the high immobilization (restriction of movement) thanks to the ratio of healthy tissue exposed to radiation are minimized.
Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy to kill cancer cells. From time to time, which is used in the treatment of brain tumors in this method, drugs can be given by mouth or into a muscle or vein. Either way, the drugs into the bloodstream, travel throughout the body via the blood. Usually the drugs are given a recovery period treatment period in the case where it tracks.
- Anticonvulsant (anti-seizure drugs)
- Physical therapy
- Speech therapy
source : https ://neolife. com.tr/beyin-tumorlerinde-tedavi-yontemleri/